Hello, friends! I wanted to share a little about myself so you can get to know the girl behind Homegrown Simplicity
4 Things About Me
- My husband and I met in college. He is a year older than me and we met when he interviewed me for an organization (spoiler alert: I got in!). We were friends for 2 years before we started dating, but I quickly realized he was the one and said yes to marrying him 6 months after our first date.
- We adopted our daughter in 2016 and after 6 miscarriages we are growing our family again with a biological daughter due in 2017. I have made it a mini mission in life to be an adoption advocate, spread love and respect for birth parents, and to uplift couples facing infertility.
- I have two cats and I love all things cat in general. On a side note, my husband is allergic to cats.
- I’ve always been a little nerdy. When I was about 12 years old I self-taught myself HTML and started building websites.
4 of My Favorite Things
- A cup of coffee with cream. Nothing is more enjoyable to me than a simple, no-frills cup of joe in my favorite mug.
- Trying new foods. Growing up in a small town, I wasn’t exposed to a variety of foods. After moving to Houston for my career, I was lucky enough to befriend food loving coworkers who introduced me to Vietnamese, Korean, Indian, and Mediterranean dishes. Even though I no longer work with them I still make time to meet up with them to enjoy our favorite spots.
- Taking walks around our neighborhood. I love my daily morning walk pushing the stroller.
- I love to hike. My husband and I have promised to take an “adventure” vacation each year and enjoy the outdoors.
4 of My Favorite “Simplifying” Acts
- Getting rid of my glass top coffee table that I could NEVER keep clean. That coffee table was the epitome of being owned by my belongings (Do you own your belongings or do they own you?)
- Simplifying my hair. I dreaded my 4-hour appointments at the salon for a cut and highlights. One day I decided it wasn’t worth it anymore and asked my hairdresser to help me get back to my natural color. I LOVE my low maintenance hair and go to the salon about twice a year now.
- The Zero Waste Movement is really inspiring to me and I love to follow people on social media who have embraced the Zero Waste lifestyle (they literally create zero waste- they don’t even own a trashcan). I am far from Zero Waste but I have become more intentional with my purchases and the waste my family produces.
- Creating a capsule wardrobe. Walking into my closet and only seeing my favorite things brings me such joy and makes finding an outfit super easy.
What is your favorite simplifying act you have made in your life? Share it with me in the comments below!